We use cookies to allow us and selected partners to improve your experience and our advertising. By continuing to browse you consent to our use of cookies. You can understand more and change your cookies preferences here.

Get advice on traders
Monday - Friday 8.30am - 6pm
Excluding Bank Holidays

Join Which? Legal

*only £9/m plus £29 one-off joining fee. Cancel anytime.


Your consumer rights with a trader

Whether you’re having a new kitchen fitted, a conservatory built or a new boiler installed, the law gives you the right to have the job carried out with reasonable care and skill.

If the job isn’t up to scratch, it’s usually best to give the trader the chance to put things right but if they refuse, you may be able to claim the cost of a third party coming in and fixing the problem.  

Dealing with trader delays

In most cases, you will agree a start and/or completion date with the trader or a trader may give you their standard terms, which will probably set out the time frames for finishing the work.  

Even if you haven’t agreed a start or finish date, under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, the trader must carry out the service ‘within a reasonable time’.

Knowing what is considered reasonable when faced with delays or interruptions to a job is difficult. So, if work is dragging on, you haven’t seen the contractors or trader for weeks or they keep disappearing to carry out work elsewhere, we can help.

Which? Legal can help

Our specialist advisers can answer all your consumer rights questions about employing traders to provide a service, and provide legal advice on how to solve problems when things go wrong. This includes what to do when:

  • the work is late starting or over-runs the agreed completion date
  • the work is of a poor quality or hasn’t been done
  • the final bill for the work is much higher than estimated or agreed
  • your property or belongings are damaged by the trader
  • you’re left with a large pile of rubbish cluttering up your garden, drive or, worse, the pavement outside your house
  • you need to take your dispute to the small claims court

The Which? Legal specialist advisers can give you expert legal advice that can get help you to resolve home improvement disputes. 

Why Which? Legal?

We're not on the clock. Our legal team will help you every step of the way, for a simple monthly fee.

Monday - Friday 8:30am - 6pm
Excluding Bank Holidays

Join Which Legal

*only £9/month plus £0 joining fee when you join in June. Cancel anytime.