Common questions

We're here to help

Our service

What can you advise on?

We can help you with:

  • Help and advice for small businesses on goods and services they purchase when acting as a consumer i.e., not for resale.

  • Pre-emptive help and advice - find out your rights before you buy

Our team can help and advise you in respect of the above from an initial problem right to the court door (provided your claim falls within the small claims procedure - with a value of less than £10,000 in England, £3,000 in Scotland and Northern Ireland).

What don’t you cover?

If you're not sure we can help you or if you cannot see your specific issue call us. One of our advisers will be able to tell you if we can help, and how.  If it is that we can't help we may be able to provide you with details of bodies or Organisations that can.

The service is an advice-only service, specialising in consumer law, employment rights and setting up or creating your Will or Power of Attorney.

We also provide advice to help you represent yourself at Small Claims Court (where value is less than £10,000 in England or £3,000 in Scotland and Northern Ireland), but we cannot provide representation in court, for you or on your behalf.

Our advice spans consumer rights but does not cover criminal or family law.

We are not able to draft documents on your behalf (unless in relation to a Settlement Agreement), but we can advise you on how to fill these in and provide you with tried and tested templates so you have the tools and knowledge you need to effectively tackle your issue.

Further exclusions are:

  • Against any Government Bodies (exception is for employment matters)
  • Any Criminal law - Arrests, Littering, Assault/GBH
  • Something another solicitor is already advising you on
  • Insolvency or insolvency proceedings/Debt
  • The merits of a case if proceedings were issued before you took advice from us
  • Claims made against you by an individual – except neighbour disputes.
  • Family Law/Divorces/Child custody/Child maintenance
  • Defamation

Our service provides advice to customers in the UK on matters concerning the law of England and Wales.

We can advise on law of Scotland and Northern Ireland in relation to most issues, but we have listed separately the areas we cannot provide advice on and suggested other organisations who may be able to help.

When and how often can I call?

In order to make dealing with your problem as straightforward as possible, you can call us as many times as you wish and we will provide step-by-step help or advice to help with your case. You can call us between 8.30am and 6pm Monday to Friday. Book your appointment here.

Are there any additional charges?

There are no hidden fees. You will only pay £9 per month (plus one-off joining fee) or £99 annually, depending on your membership. 

What is the Joining Fee?

The Joining Fee is a one time payment to become a member of the legal advice service from Which?, payable by new legal advice service members that choose to pay monthly, including those who already have a different Which? subscription.

How do I book an appointment?

All members of the legal advice service can book an appointment to speak to one of our experts here. Once you have logged in a few simple questions will get you booked in with the experts that specialise in the area you need advice on. 


Can I speak to the same person every time I call?

It may not be the same person, however our dedicated team will not ask you for the full story every-time just the last piece of advice you received and we can take it from there.

Can I get advice on more than one issue at a time?

We are here to help you, so you may use our service on more than one problem at a time, although you will need to bear in mind the fair usage policy.

Will details of my case be kept confidential?

Yes. We would never pass any of your details to another party and your correspondence is confidential between you and the person helping or advising you. 

To make sure that Which? is investigating the issues that are really affecting consumers, we may record a summary of your enquiry within the Which? consumer information database. The summary will be recorded on an anonymous basis unless we have obtained your express prior consent.

Can you take up my case for me?

We are governed by regulations placed upon us by the Solicitors Regulation Authority which prevents us from taking up your case for you.

Will you help me to draft letters?

Our lawyers and specialist advisors are always happy to help and our lawyers will advise you on what information you will need to draft letters, such as advising on the relevant legislation applicable to your claim, but cannot actually draft the letters for you.

Can I email you?

You can send us a message at We'll do our best to get back to you within three working days.

Can I share with you documents relevant to my case?

We are unable to look at any documents related to your case. However, we will always ensure that you have enough time when you speak to our dedicated team to go through any paperwork you have received and we can take it from there.

Going to Court

Will you come to court with me?

We are unable to represent you in court, however we always aim to ensure that you are prepared for the hearing. There are a few matters where we can't do this, for example if you are taking a local authority to court over a parking ticket.

Most cases heard in the small claims court are held in a normal room within the court and not a court room.

Can you help me if my issue involves a financial claim of more than £10,000?

Although we can advise on issues over the small claims limit, we cannot advise if the matter progresses to court, or is already subject to court proceedings.

If your matter does fall within the small claims procedure then we can advise you on all procedural aspects up to the court door.

Claims that may not be in the small claims court include financial claims over £10,000 in England, £3000 in Scotland and Northern Ireland, enforcement proceedings, injunctive proceedings and any other proceedings not within our general scope of advice.

Our team

When I call who will I speak to?

Your call will be answered by our dedicated customer service team who will take brief details and then try to connect you to one of our legal advisers for help. If you need advice, you’ll be pleased to know that all of our specialist advisers have an average of 12 years' experience.

Cancelling your membership

How do I cancel my membership?

To talk to us about your membership call us on 029 2267 0178

Advice on Scottish law

Housing Association tenancies

We cannot provide advice in the area of Scottish Housing Association tenancies. 

Shelter may be able to help provide the advice you are looking for.

Housing Tribunal claims & guidance on Houses of Multiple Occupation

We cannot provide advice in the area of Housing Tribunal claims & guidance on Houses of Multiple Occupation.  The Housing and Property Chamber may be able to help. 

Neighbour issues & planning

We cannot provide advice in the area of Neighbour issues & planning in Scotland.  The Scottish government website has advice and support that may help you. 

Advice on Northern Irish law

Employment disputes

Wills & probate advice

Water supply and sewerage

Tenancies & Housing Association tenancies

Housing Tribunal claims & guidance on Houses of Multiple Occupation

Neighbour planning issues